Thursday, October 17, 2013

Quilting the 1930s...

I recently finished quilting a quilt for one of the guilds that I'm in.  It will be their raffle quilt for 2014.  It's a 1930's style quilt with applique in the borders as well as some of the blocks.  I wanted to continue the feeling of the applique vines that are in the border into the remainder of the plain white border area, so I chose to do a vine pattern there as well.  Both the applique border area and the quilted vine area were then echo quilted to unify the two.  For the blocks I did stippling quilting in the background of each one and then simply ditch-stitched the pieced blocks.  The sashings were done with a looping edge stitching.  I'm pleased with how it turned out, and was glad to do it to support my guild as a fund-raising quilt.

* click on a pic for larger view *

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Quilting the Flower Box...

Below are pics of a customer quilt that I recently finished quilting for a lady in one of the quilt guilds that I'm in.  It's from a pattern called "Flower Box" by Edyta Sitar, and the applique was beautifully hand done.  I echo quilted the border areas and then did a winding leafy quilting in the inner background area similar to the border applique vines.  For the baskets I did a simple feather motif and ditch-stitched the diamonds of the baskets.  I really like how this turned out, it was already a beautiful top with the work she did on it, and I think the quilting helps accent that.

** click on a pic for a closer view **