Friday, October 10, 2014

Crows In The Pumpkin Patch

Here's a pic of a wall hanging that I finished last night called "Crows In The Pumpkin Patch".  In measures 39" x 39" and has a little bit of everything in it - homespuns, flannels, wool, and regular cotton fabrics.  Now to get it up on the wall.  Happy Fall, y'all!  :)

** click on pic for a closer view **


Sunday, September 14, 2014

The BIG black Christmas quilt...

Below are some pics of a quilt that I just finished quilting for a customer.  It's a Christmas theme quilt with appliques of poinsettias and partridges.  The applique work is expertly done and the black background really makes everything pop on it.  The vast majority of the time spent on this one was in simply quilting the black background - there's lots of it and it is densely quilted.  Around the stars I did a small stipple, and around the applique blocks I did echo quilting.  In the large black open areas I did a floral design, followed by more echo quilting.  The stars were quilting with a variegated thread, and then I did a little quilting on the appliques themselves, just enough to hold the areas together since I didn't want the quilting to overtake the applique work.  This is a big quilt, it measures 104" square and I think it turned out really nice.



Monday, December 30, 2013

Quilt for my daughter...

Below is a pic of a quilt that I made for my daughter, Meagan, for Christmas.  She moved out into her own place this past summer and decorated her living room with gray and yellow chevron.  So I thought this would fit right in with that.  She really liked it and now has something to curl up with on the couch!

Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Black Stars...

This is a project that I've been working on off and on for about 6 months.  It's a little quilted wall hanging that measures 11" x 14" and is all done by hand using 1800s reproduction fabrics.  The black stars are done using English paper piecing and were then appliqued down onto the light circular background fabric which had been appliqued onto the black block squares.  After the top was all done, I hand quilted it as well.  Glad to have this little project done, it was an adventure in hand work for me.  Now to find a place to hang it.

** click on a pic for a larger view**


Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A stair stepping quilt...

A co-worker asked me to make her a quilt a few months ago.  She's a great cheerleader for my love of quilting, so it was fun getting to work on a quilt for her.  We tossed around a lot of ideas about a color palette and settled on the fabric lines of the designer Kansas Troubles.  Their rich, deep tones are beautiful, and I really like how they look in this quilt.  The pattern itself is a stair stepping one, with the colors of the quilt creating a diagonal pattern.  This is a king size quilt, so quite large at 102" x 102".  The backing has a beautiful gold fabric from the KT "Summer's End" line.  Thank you, Janet, for letting me create this quilt for you!

*click on a pic for a larger view*



 

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Quilting the 1930s...

I recently finished quilting a quilt for one of the guilds that I'm in.  It will be their raffle quilt for 2014.  It's a 1930's style quilt with applique in the borders as well as some of the blocks.  I wanted to continue the feeling of the applique vines that are in the border into the remainder of the plain white border area, so I chose to do a vine pattern there as well.  Both the applique border area and the quilted vine area were then echo quilted to unify the two.  For the blocks I did stippling quilting in the background of each one and then simply ditch-stitched the pieced blocks.  The sashings were done with a looping edge stitching.  I'm pleased with how it turned out, and was glad to do it to support my guild as a fund-raising quilt.

* click on a pic for larger view *








Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Quilting the Flower Box...

Below are pics of a customer quilt that I recently finished quilting for a lady in one of the quilt guilds that I'm in.  It's from a pattern called "Flower Box" by Edyta Sitar, and the applique was beautifully hand done.  I echo quilted the border areas and then did a winding leafy quilting in the inner background area similar to the border applique vines.  For the baskets I did a simple feather motif and ditch-stitched the diamonds of the baskets.  I really like how this turned out, it was already a beautiful top with the work she did on it, and I think the quilting helps accent that.

** click on a pic for a closer view **