Sunday, September 25, 2011

Starting a new project is always so much fun....

And today, I start a new one (o.k., I know I already have too many in progress, but I really want to get started on THIS one!)    It's is called "Winter Garden" and is from the "When The Cold Wind Blows" book by Blackbird Designs (Barb Adams and Alma Allen).  It is a beautiful pattern, and is done in golds, browns, and rusts to give the feel of how our gardens look in the Winter.  Mine will be using a similar color palette as shown below.  I'll also be adding a border using something from another quilt of theirs in the same book.


Here's the background fabrics that I'll be using.  I loved that top one so much that I went online and bought 10 more yards of it!  It's called "Mayfair" by Benartex.  I can see that neutral background fabric showing up in a lot of my future Blackbird Designs projects.

Here are the fabrics that I will be using in my version.  Lots of browns, golds, and rusts for the main body of the quilt.  The blues will be used for some birds I have planned for the borders.

I spent the day today making 3/8" and 1/2" bias strips for the stems of the flowers and branches that will be in the quilt top.  They're all made now, so I'm ready to get started cutting shapes for the blocks.

1 comment: