Saturday, November 28, 2015

Below are a couple of pics of a customer's vintage quilt that I finished quilting and binding for her today. The top was made by her grandmother and the fabrics appear to be from the 1930s/1940s, so this quilt top is about 70-80 years old. When machine quilting old tops like this, there's often a lot of extra fullness in the blocks, wavy seams, etc., since they didn't have our modern and accurate cutting equipment and techniques of today. This one was a pretty wavy top, but I managed to work a lot of that out by doing a meandering pattern of quilting on it - I worked the machine with my right hand while easing fullness in with my left. I think it turned out really nice looking and it's now finally finished as the original quilter had hoped all those decades ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment